A well-executed digital project such as a website or in-store screen should deliver immediate positive results within a few weeks of launch, especially if it has been well-marketed. However, this improvement in performance is only a preview of the power a well-designed site has to help your active lifestyle customers, improve relationships with them and build the active lifestyle brand and the business.
To fully unlock that power, once the site is launched, it is important to pay attention to the experience the site provides to your customers. Site elements should constantly be adjusted and improved based on data and customer feedback through a process we call Calibration.
What is Calibration?
Calibration is a structured process for making continuous intelligent changes to the site or screen that will improve the experience your customers have when interacting with your brand. It’s not just A/B testing, button placement, headline text, or content experiments. The techniques involved in improving customer experience may include tracking the performance of items like that, but that’s not the point. A couple of examples of Calibration tactics are highlighting content that data indicates consumers are interested in and tweaking code to make search, research, and purchase as simple as possible.
Five reasons to invest in Calibration
- Higher marketing conversions. Brands invest millions in marketing and advertising to get the attention of audiences and to get people to their website. However, we’ve noticed most could do a (much) better job of increasing the momentum of that first engagement and ensuring it produces a positive result. Optimizing the experience consumers have with the brand digitally will ensure the marketing and advertising dollars it took to get them there were not spent in vain.
- Instant competitive advantage. In the old paradigm, a website was built and then left to run passively until it was completely redesigned about two years later. The good news is that many of your competitors are still operating under this model. Calibration is an investment you can make that will enable you to pull ahead of them and instantly create a strong competitive advantage.
- Maximize impact of marketing spend. Calibration (and the experienced advisors that come with it) provide you with the data/evidence you need to wisely invest your marketing dollars where they will be most effective.
- Happier customers translate into higher sales. Calibration clients recognize that by investing in a better website or landing page, a better retail kiosk, they are building stronger relationships with their consumers and those relationships drive results.
- Increasingly aggressive sales goals. The launch of a great new site can jump sales conversions and average order value and volume by hundreds of percentage points. That immediate gratification feels great and makes everyone look good, too. But long term, we know that the results of Calibration are what will justify the latest digital investment and meet increasingly aggressive sales goals.
During a typical month, Calibration has consistently provided the following returns:
- Increased sales
- Increased conversion rates
- Increased purchase volume
- Increased average order value
- Increased new & returning traffic
- Increased SEO & rank
- Better mobile & tablet performance
- Better customer experience leading to more referrals
- Intelligent channel spend recommendations
- Aligned internal sales and marketing efforts
The retail environment has never been more competitive and it will only become more so. Investing in a great website that works has become the price of admission. To unlock success, brands now need to make a great website that works hard to please customers — and Calibration is the key.